Yesterday was a gorgeous day in February. It was -5, snowing and much of the back yard was sheltered from wind (for the non-Canucks that is warm!). We donned snowsuits and headed out. Rose sat in the sleigh and enjoyed being pulled around the garden.
Daisy did her share of pulling and entertaining her sister.
However after a little time Daisy wanted to play so I took over.
Here she is posing on her snow dragon.. yes Buddy the dog did decorate it!
After 4 laps of the yard I was getting tired.. Rose was not. Hence the pout.
My lack of energy thanks to stomach flu and Rose's subsequent grumpiness got me thinking about outdoor snow activities. My brain was not coming up with a list of go to outside snow activities. After some research here are my favourites:
- Make creations from snow and found objects.
- Make a path for the kids to follow including obstacles to follow.
- Play tag can also be done by following footprints if you have fresh snow.
- Take small creatures outside for a snowy game of hide-and-seek (Mama Pea Pod)
- Provide a variety of materials and let the kids develop their own way of playing (Cheryl's Child Care Blog).
- Play Tic-Tac-Snow with found objects (Parents).
- Make coloured ice blocks for outside play. (Sweet and Lovely Crafts)
- Open ended Bilibo play (see a cool video of them in action here).
- Build a snow hole (I'm a Teacher get me outside here)
A small list to start with but we will have a go with some of these as soon as it warms up a little, it is -12 now, however as Sir Rannulph Fiennes said, "There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing."