Daisy is very fortunate to be entering a school division that runs a Literacy Links programme to support children entering Kindergarten and Grade One. We had a wonderful facilitator visit our home once to work with Daisy for an hour. She is coming back to do another three sessions during the next month. Daisy counted the sleeps waiting for her to arrive and is now eagerly awaiting the next session.
Here is the low down on what Literacy Links is:
Literacy Links supports parents with pre-school children in understanding how to develop a positive literacy environment in the home setting and make the important links between home and school.
Literacy Links is a program in the St. James Assiniboia School Division that is offered May to August and is free of charge to all families of children entering kindergarten in the fall. Trained facilitators will work with families to demonstrate and to assist them in providing developmentally appropriate and enriching learning experiences.
The focus of the program will include:
- Book selection and parent-child interaction during reading
- Environmental print (i.e. signs, labels, logos, etc.)
- Rhymes, songs and word games to develop phonological awareness
- Appropriate writing opportunities
- Learning letter names and sounds
- Math concepts (i.e. patterning, counting, number recognition)
- Suggestions for a positive transition to Kindergarten